The first decade of the new millennium was a realization as I stepped of the comfort of school life and structured learning into the big bad world. Everything that I have to show for myself, I earned in these ten long years, right from my degrees to my new family life. Whether for better or for worse, only time can tell. However, here are some of the lessons I learnt through this beautiful and gruelling decade, with the best of companions that God handpicked, just for me! Hopefully the next decade goes a bit easy on me.
- It is good to believe. Faith however is optional.
- Blood is thicker than water; even then it flows smoothly continuously and without jerks, despite distances and differences.
- A sibling is the best gift god gives you. He tops it with an amazing life-partner!
- You can’t choose your relatives or co-workers, but choose friends wisely.
- A friend in need, most often than never, is an opportunist in disguise.
- Pay compliments without malice and in goodtime. A delayed compliment often translates into jealously.
- Actions without expectations are the best. It helps you keep anxiety in check.
- Revenge is the strongest emotion of all, but karma always wins.
- Keep prejudices at bay. That way your mind doesn’t lie to you.
- Never stock up any emotions. Laugh when something’s funny, cry when you’re sad, and yell when you’re angry. But never displace it to the wrong person; not even yourself.
- Enjoy everything in its entirety, it’s easier to analyse and dissect later.
- A regret of action can be rectified, but a time bound regret can’t. Do all that you want in good time and with foresight; ‘could have beens’ and ‘should have beens’ are very difficult to live with.
- Be open to change, but learn to draw the line subtly.
- Inquisitiveness is good if your questions are answered; most often than never.
- It’s good to have perspectives, but be cautious when sharing them.
- Never hate someone who has a point of view and has the courage to express it too. Such people are difficult to come by.
- Never put your self in someone else’s shoes, they will end up blaming you for stealing them; extra pairs of shoes are not always good.
- For all the bad things you do, your children pay the price. Be better parents for them right from the start.
- Have an imagination; it becomes easier to appreciate the finer things in life.
- To have a healthy love life, you need to be the closest of friends for life.
- Love is always between equals.
- You need to be truly blessed to love unconditionally and not be taken for granted in return.
- It is healthy to hold on to memories. Sometime it’s all you have.
- It’s never too late to grieve for a loss. Realisation is not always sudden.
- Professionalism is not the best of virtues to have, but it guarantees you sound sleep every night.
- Speak your mind, but choose your words.
- Don’t expect perfection, only aim for it. That way you will still like yourself in the end.
- Its better to fantasize than procrastinate that too while appearing to be busy. That’s what multitasking is all about!
- Don’t wear your heart on your sleeve, being smart is better than being intelligent.
- It’s easier to remember nightmares in detail, but dreams are very forgettable. Same goes for joys and sorrows.
- Dogs love you unconditionally, even if you don’t feed them or play with them everyday.
- A relationship that can stand the test of geographical distances and get better despite of the void is for keeps.
- When you love unconditionally, there are only random acts of kindness, no sacrifices of compromises.
- There are no such things as rose-tinted glasses; the world is full of cynics who are negative. Positivism is, at times, overrated.
- Competition is never healthy. You feel the guilt despite winning or losing.
- Avoid monetizing your hobby; the very essence of its de-stressing nature is lost. Make money from your second most favourite thing instead.
- All the questions of life come with options. But at times, you get the results the hard way.
- Never say no to anyone. Whether you carry out the deed is a different thing altogether. Save yourself the energy of getting into meaningless arguments that leave a bitter taste without doing any good.
- Keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut. You need to use only your ears and shut your brain when criticism comes about.
- Don’t try to change the world all by yourself. It’s quite capable to do so by itself and that too at a blistering pace that you don’t even notice!
- You can’t make everybody like you. Settle with liking yourself to start with.
- What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, especially when you are suicidal.
- Work is the worse thing to get addicted to. Detached attachment is the best medicine.
- No one but you can decide your own calibre. Others just try to clip your wings.
- Honesty is the best policy only if it doesn’t get you into trouble.
- It’s good to be punctual, even if no one else is. It goes a long way.
- Create a happy place in your mind. It helps you switch off your mind and wander away when in boring meetings. But cultivate sharp reflexes before that.
- Read across genres. You never know what you would end up enjoying.
- You can never learn from another’s mistakes, you got to make them all yourself and learn things the hard way. But it’s important to get the best out of every folly you commit.
- ‘I am sorry’ is the most powerful of statement. Even without any emotional backing, it helps you save energy for more important decisions in life.
7 Comments Add yours
i love the quotes…made my day….
Thanks Arva..they’re all original 🙂 … havent chkd on google for otherwise
Tussi gr8 ho!
I am impressed and loved every word that you have penned down. I suppose you should post one of these each day on ur status to remind us of one lesson every new day 🙂
Best wishes and good luck for 2011
Like always, you’re too kind with your words 🙂
Hey nice ones 🙂
Except point 38. We should say no when we dont intend to do something! If thats what you meant by that point.
Hi Vipin, the without is for the bitter taste a meaningless argument leaves….its not just unimportant, but also damaging..
Thanks for stopping by, appreciated your comments 🙂