An Ode to A Legacy Unquestioned

Its Father’s Day again, a more western holiday that has little relevance in our context. But considering the amount of international exposure thanks to television and the Internet, the Indian culture of valuing relationships seems to be trending, with a twist. So jumping on to the bandwagon, here is my ode to the man I cherish the most in this world, my dad. A man with a heart of gold, which didn’t tick for long, this particular post is symbolic of how I remember him. I had just turned three when he passed over to the other side. The Candle is reminiscent of his short-lived existence, he didn’t mind burning up and melting down, as long as he kept everyone happy and satisfied. The color purple stands for the last ever gift my mom received from him, a beautiful lavender-hued saree, that I draped for my school farewell party. The lavender flower also stands for a beautiful creation that leaves you with a feeling of melancholy, that is what lavender as a color does to you, it is not a happy color, think about it. And lastly, it reminds me that between the candle and the wind, the wind won, as the candle stopped glowing. Thank you for all the memories dad, and for helping me love and cherish mom better. Happy Daddy’s Day, I love you best! And I hope you are listening …:)

10 Comments Add yours

1. That’s a lovely post

1. Kamakshi says:

Thank you stopping by πŸ™‚ Appreciate your kind words πŸ™‚

2. frizztext says:

I had just turned three when he passed over to the other side… – you’ve written a heart-touching tribute to your Dad …

1. Kamakshi says:

Thanks Frizz…i guess that is one strong bond that brings back memories of guilt, sadness and satisfaction, that i was graced with the presence of someone so awesome πŸ™‚

3. Touch2Touch says:

A precious reminiscence —

1. Kamakshi says:

Thanks Tsarina:-)

4. Sheetal says:

Beautifully written, ani i loved the candle…and what i loved even more is the symbolism that you have attched to it..
    Well done..

1. Kamakshi says:

Thanks Sheetal, i guess i picked the color thinking about him…i have very few things that are lavender and they all remind me of him πŸ™‚